Best Router Table
- 1 Best Router Table
- 2 Best Budget Router Table – The Wolf 1200 Watt Plunge Router Table
- 3 Best Value Router Table – The Bosch RA1171
- 4 Best Performing Router Table – The Kreg 257334
- 5 Best Router Table (Overall Winner) – The Bosch RA1171
- 6 The Bottom Line
Both professionals and hobbyists have long appreciated the role of routers in woodworking. However, it is quite difficult to efficiently carry out routing without employing the use of a router table. Great is the need for these tables that manufacturers have literally flooded the market with them.
With so many brands, types and models of router tables available, selecting one has become a tough feat. For best results, you should always choose one that has a flat solid top, a stable base, and guide features like fences, mitres, and t-slots. Such qualities ensure that you always have optimal control over the routing process.
Extra features such as a built-in light, a dust collector, and storage drawers also come in handy.
Benefits of a router table
- Makes it easy to attain consistent results
- Allows you to safely route narrow stock
- Gives you optimal control over the routing process
- Can boost the versatility of a hand-held router
Disadvantages of a router table
- Some router tables have tops made of cheap wood that doesn’t last long
For this review, we featured an affordable router table, a mid-priced one and a top of the line option. All the featured router tables were selected due to their efficiency, durability, and versatility. So sit back and relax as we present you with the best router tables of 2018.
Best Budget Router Table – The Wolf 1200 Watt Plunge Router Table
This affordable router table fits routers of up to a155 mm base plate and is sturdy enough to hold them steady while making intricate cuts. It also allows you to convert your router into a spindle moulder. Due to its die-cast aluminium top, it is way more durable than many other router tables.
Moreover, the Wolf 1200 Watt Plunge Router ships with a router bit set that includes TCT tipped bits enclosed in a wooden storage case.
Benefits of the Wolf 1200 Watt Plunge Router Table
- Has a professional finish
- Provides maximum control
- Can be used for a variety of functions such as moulding, shaping and wood joinery
- Its ergonomically designed rubberized handles make it comfortable to use
- Its parallel guide allows for accurate crafting
Disadvantages of the Wolf 1200 Watt Plunge Router Table
- Instructions aren’t clear
- Difficult to assemble
- Size with extensions: 860 mm × 335 mm
- Power: 1,200 watts
- Plunge cutting depth: 52 mm
- No load speed: 11,000 to 30,000 rpm
- Material: Aluminum
- Maximum blade plate size: 155 mm
- Collets supplied: 6mm, 8mm, ¼ inches
The Wolf 1200 Watt Plunge Router Table offers you consistency and versatility without breaking your bank. At such a reasonable price tag, you won’t find a better product.
Best Value Router Table – The Bosch RA1171
If you are looking for a compact cabinet-style router table, look no farther than the Bosch RA1171. It comes with a pre-drilled robust aluminium mounting plate in its centre for the easy and accurate mounting of a variety of routers.
It also features a tall aluminium fence and adjustable MDF face plates that comfortably support taller workpieces. Another thing we love about the Bosch RA1171is the fact that it comes with a very long power cord.
You will be glad to know that this router table ships with a variety of accessories including a starter pin, two adjustable featherboards, and an informative instruction manual. With all that it has to offer, it is surprising that it isn’t more expensive.
Benefits of the Bosch RA1171
- Comes with 2 dust collection ports to ensure ease of cleaning
- Comes with a storage slot for your accessories
- Compact and occupies very little space
- Easy to assemble
Disadvantages of the Bosch RA1171
- Doesn’t provide a large workspace
- Weight: 35 pounds
- Length: 15.875 inches
- Width: 25.5 inches
- Height: 14.5 inches
- Face Plate Dimensions: 4.875 in. × 25.125 in.
- Material: Aluminum
- Amperage: 15 A
- Maximum Fence Opening: 3.1875 inches
- Maximum Throat Opening: 3.625 inches
Although the Bosch RA1171 isn’t the cheapest router table on the market, it is definitely worth the extra cash. It offers a healthy balance of efficiency, sturdiness, and durability.
Best Performing Router Table – The Kreg 257334
Highly suitable for professional woodworkers, the Kreg 257334 Precision Benchtop Router Table is a top-notch tool that is built to withstand continuous heavy-duty use. As its name suggests, it is perfect for tasks that require a high level of precision. Some of its features include:
- Extra-large noise resistant reinforced MDF top that allows you to easily slide workpieces across its surface
- Rugged steel stand for increased durability
- Rubber feet that absorb vibrations and noise
- Unique bottom-up levellers for increased accuracy
- The rugged anodized aluminium fence that has sliding faces
- Vacuum shroud that simplifies the cleaning process
- Precise insert plate with laser engraved markings that make the router mounting process very easy
It is also worth mentioning that the Kreg 257334 comes with an informative instruction manual.
Benefits of the Kreg 257334
- Perfect for woodworking professionals who are constantly on the go
- Ensures quiet routing
- Heavy duty and reliable
Disadvantages of the Kreg 257334
- Adjusting cut depths and changing bits can be a hassle when using this router table
- Weight: 26 pounds
- Table surface dimensions: 16 in. × 24 in.
- Overall Dimensions: 20 in. × 28.25 in. × 20.25 in.
- Insert Plate Dimensions: 0.375 in. × 9.25 in. × 11.75 in.
- Insert Plate Material: Phenolic
- Fence Material: Aircraft-grade, anodized aluminium
When it comes to quality and precision, no router table is greater than the Kreg 257334. If you can afford it, you should definitely get it.
Best Router Table (Overall Winner) – The Bosch RA1171
The Bosch RA1171 is the only router table in this review that is both easy to use and has a smart design. It has enough features to allow you to do all that you need to do without making things too complicated. It is also not lost on us that it offers you good value for your money.
As long as you don’t need an extra-large workspace, this router table will be enough for you. In fact, it is suitable for both professionals and DIY enthusiasts. On the other hand, the Kreg 257334 is more suited to professionals while the Wolf 1200 Watt Plunge Router Table is best for those who are just getting started on woodworking.
At the end of the day, the Bosch RA1171 is the only router table in this review cuts that across the board.
The Bottom Line
In conclusion, you should always choose a router table that is suitable for your level of expertise. There is no need to buy a tool that you can’t use. As you become more and more experienced, you should begin to focus on router tables that emphasize precision and accuracy.
However, bear in mind that precision tools tend to be more expensive than basic ones. Ultimately, you should always invest in a machine that suits your needs and also falls within your budget. At the end of the day, we hope that this review has provided you with just that.
Have you considered looking at our review of the Best Air Compressors?