Makita and DeWalt are both big names in the power tool world and both claim to be the tool that you will need to get DIY jobs done around your home. Both have done incredibly well in the power tool industry, with manufacturing plants across the world, so they must be doing something right! But, this doesn’t mean that both tools will be right for you, there is bound to be one that is better suited to what you need! But, how do you know which tool to buy? Which tool is going to be best for the jobs that you are hoping to complete around your home?
There is a lot to consider to answer this question; from power to durability, warranty to price and everything else that you may have not even thought of! Keep reading if you want to buy a power tool that is going to help you get the job done and that fits like a glove!
The Makita brand started in Japan in 1915, but not many people know this as they started as an electrical repair company! They are known for always being at the forefront with their tools hosting the latest technologies! They were one of the first companies to introduce cordless models to their range – so in theory they should have at least half an idea of what they are doing!
Pros and Cons
- Innovative designs with high-tech Japanese engineering, such as the Star Protection Technology. This has recently been introduced to Makita products which enables the different parts of the tool to “communicate” with each other so working functions can be monitored. This helps to avoid overloading and overheating.
- Three year warranty for most tools means that you can rely on them to be hard wearing.
- Lighter and easier to work with. This means that you will be able to work with your tool for longer before suffering from fatigue.
- Usually have slightly higher rpm (rotations per minute) getting the job done quicker!
- With cordless models you will find the Lithium-Ion battery to be much quicker charging and it will last longer. The battery can also be used with many different Makita tools.
- Slightly less “umph” found in some tools which could mean that you find them struggling to work with some of the heavier models that the DeWalt can cope with.
- Fewer speed options which can affect the quality of the job that you can complete.
The DeWalt brand started in Pennsylvania in 1924 by Raymond DeWalt and expanded rapidly, becoming part of the Black & Decker company in 1960. Well known for their wide range of portable and versatile tools, they offer a range of power tools and accessories, which means that if you have a job that needs doing, it is unlikely there won’t be a DeWalt tool available to help you!
Pros and Cons
- Well known, classic brand with a good track record in the UK tool industry. Just the name itself gives you that feeling of peace of mind!
- Three year warranty for most tools and a fantastic customer care system – so you shouldn’t find your tool going wrong but if it does you know they will be there to help you.
- Usually has slightly more power and torque (if we are being picky!) so will be able to work with harder materials if you are needing this from a tool!
- Tool Connect – DeWalts latest tech feature allows you to connect your tools to your phone so you can run diagnostics, track the tools and check battery life.
- Many tools come with brushed motors for increased efficiency however this can add to the overall weight of the tool.
- Heavier and more bulky – this can make them harder to work with and therefore more likely to lead to fatigue. But remember that DeWalt tools do offer reduced vibration technology to then reduce this fatigue and increase user comfort.
- Battery will usually drain faster (depending on the jobs that you are completing) but this doesn’t mean that they won’t last more than long enough to get the job done and you could always purchase a replacement battery if you are concerned.
- The cordless battery will be interchangeable with some other tools, but when investigating, it appears there are less tools that the battery will be compatible with in comparison to the Makita range.
We would find it really difficult to say whether the Makita or DeWalt brand is the better one to opt for when looking to purchase a power tool. They are relatively similar in price if you look comparatively at what you are getting – yes, Makita products tend to be cheaper but DeWalt products usually come with more accessories so it really depends what you are actually looking for from a tool (and your budget!).
The less torque of the Makita is made up for with its increased RPM so again this really depends on the types of jobs you are going to be completing. If you are going to be doing a lot of work with really tough materials then maybe the DeWalt will be better for you. But, if you are needing a quick tool to do small jobs around the home, the Makita may be a better option for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are DeWalt and Black & Decker the same company?
DeWalt was purchased by Black & Decker in 1960, so is now the trade name of a number of Black & Decker products. However they are still completely different products, manufactured differently, and therefore different parts of each brand of tools will be unlikely to be compatible.
Do DeWalt and Makita offer combo kits?
Yes, both brands have competitive combo kits that are fantastic value for money. The Makita XT505 and the DeWalt DCK590L2 are both five-piece kits that come with a hammer drill, reciprocating saw, circular saw, impact driver, work light and of course the all-important carrier for all your tools. These are great for if you are looking for a complete refresh of your tools, or just buying new for the first time.