Rolson 40 Piece Socket Set Review
The Rolson 40 Piece Socket Set is a budget socket set designed for home use.
I’ll start by mentioning that this set is on the low end of the price range, some socket sets cost hundreds but this one is less than £10 – and sadly it shows.
The complete set comprises:
- 3/8″ Dr. reversible ratchet handle
- 3/8″ Dr. 75mm extension bar
- 1/4″(m) x 3/8″(f) adaptor
- 3/8″ Dr. x 16mm spark plug socket
- 150mm spinner handle
- Spin disc
- 12 x 1/4″ Dr. sockets AF Size 5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 13/32, 7/16,
- 15/32, 1/2″
- 3pc 1/4″ Dr. (8 point) sockets AF size 1/4, 5/16, 3/8″
- 3pc 3/8″ Dr. sockets AF size 9/16, 11/16, 3/4″
- 12pc 1/4″ Dr. sockets metric size: 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13mm
- 3pc 3/8″ Dr. sockets mm size 14, 16, 17mm
The ratchet feels ok at best, the action isn’t too bad however I very much doubt that this will take much punishment. Our unit did have an odd rattle that coming from the mechanism.
My gut feeling would be that the ratchet would be good enough for light usage, but I doubt it would handle very well when a large amount of torque is applied.
The fit on some of the sockets also felt a little hit and miss. The 8mm socket seemed a little loose in testing, whereas the 10mm was overly tight. Due to the low cost of these sets the manufacturing and quality assurance processes are not overly stringent.
The extension bar on our Rolson 40 Piece Socket Set also appeared suspect and seemed to be made of ABS plastic – which won’t last long.
It’s not all doom and gloom however, for the price it’s a capable set – just don’t expect too much of it. It’s always handy to have a socket set around for low end home repairs but the Rolson 40 Piece Socket Set likely wouldn’t last 5 minutes in a professional environment.
We’d recommend spending a little more and getting something a little more robust.