Best Planer – Our Top 3 Review
- 1 Best Planer – Our Top 3 Review
- 2 Best Budget Planer
- 3 Best Value Planer – The Makita KP0800
- 4 Best Performing Planer – Bosch GHO 26-82 D
- 5 Best Planer (Overall Winner)
As its name suggests, a planer smoothens and evens out wooden surfaces. It gets rid of any knots and hard edges, giving your finished product a professional look. As such, any serious woodworker should own at least one of these power tools
There are many planers on the market today, each with its own unique set of features. When choosing a planer there are several factors you will have to consider such as its performance, power rating, cutter head type, capacity and depth adjustment.
It is also worth noting that there are several types of planers such as jointer, benchtop, portable and thickness planers.
Benefits of a Planer
- Enables you to recycle wood that is still of good quality
- Enables you to use even the roughest and most uneven wood
Disadvantages of a Planer
- Sometimes the planed wood ends up with a deeper cut at each of its ends
In order to come up with a trustworthy review, we looked at planers with a track record of good performance. We selected a suitable planer for each price range. As such, this review features the best budget buy, the best moderately priced choice and the best high-end planer.
Best Budget Planer
Best Budget Planer – The Bosch PHO 1500 Planer
The Bosch PHO 1500 has long been known to produce smooth high-quality surfaces. This is attributed to its patented WoodRazor system that ensures high cutting speeds and high planning quality.
Its tungsten carbide blade experiences less friction than a two-blade system and therefore lasts longer. It also helps that you can easily swipe out the knife of this blade. The Bosch PHO 1500 ships with an Allen key, an instruction manual and a 2-year warranty.
Considering all its helpful features and accessories, this planer is undoubtedly a good bang for your buck.
Benefits of the Bosch PHO 1500
- Gets rid of dust by the use of its integrated dust spout that can be connected to a vacuum cleaner or dust bag
- Comes with safety features such as a lock off switch that reduces the chances of the planer starting up accidentally
- Easy to use
- Its parking rest extends automatically to prevent damage to the blade or workpiece
Disadvantages of the Bosch PHO 1500
- Its handle is slippery if held with gloved hands
- Unsuitable for planing hardwoods
- Unsuitable for daily professional use
- Weight: 2.4 kilograms
- Power: 500 watts
- Voltage: 230 volts
- No load speed: 19,500 rpm
- Planing width: 82 mm
- Rebating depth: 0 to 8 mm
- Cutting depth: 0 to 1.5 mm
[btn url=”httpso/2Ec8Ra7://amzn.t” text_color=”#ffffff” bg_color=”#ff0000″ icon=”” icon_position=”start” size=”22″ id=”” target=””]Get the latest price on Amazon[/btn]
The Bosch PHO 1500 works perfectly when it is used for its intended purpose; light DIY projects around the house. It is however unsuitable for daily professional use.
Best Value Planer – The Makita KP0800
The Makita brand has long been associated with high-quality power tools. In fact, almost every woodworker has at least one Makita tool in their workshop. It, therefore, comes as no surprise that the Makita KP0800 is featured in this review.
This planer is very efficient, removing up to 2 mm of material on a single pass. Its twin blades move at a fast rate, giving you up to 34,000 cuts per minute. The fact that it is light and comes has an ergonomic design also makes it easy to use for long periods of time.
The Makita KP00800 ships with a socket wrench and a blade gauge assembly. Given its high planing efficiency and useful features, it is no surprise that the Makita KP0800 is more expensive than your basic planer.
Benefits of the Makita KP0800
- Ensures a fine and accurate finish
- Comes with fast and easy blade installation
- Comes with a depth adjustment knob that ensures precise adjustments
- Robust aluminium construction for increased durability
Disadvantages of the Makita KP0800
- It produces a lot of wood chips
- It needs a dust bag that is sold separately
- Weight: 2.6 kilograms
- Power: 620 watts
- Voltage: 240 volts
- Amps: 6.5 A
- Planing width: 82 mm
- Maximum rebate depth: 9 mm
- Planing depth per pass: 2 mm
- Maximum no-load speed: 17,000 rpm
[btn url=”https://amzn.to/2H2RsDx” text_color=”#ffffff” bg_color=”#ff0000″ icon=”” icon_position=”start” size=”22″ id=”” target=””]Get the latest price on Amazon[/btn]
If you are looking for a planer that is powerful, efficient and rich in features yet doesn’t break the bank, we strongly recommend the Makita KP0800. This planner guarantees you a high-quality finish that is extremely rare, especially with power tools of this price range.
Best Performing Planer – Bosch GHO 26-82 D
As its name suggests, professional woodworkers will love the Bosch Professional GHO 26-82 D. With its powerful motor and superior cutting rates, this planer’s performance is off the charts. It comes fully equipped with a variety of features that make using it a joy. Here are the major ones.
- Front shoe adjustment for increased accuracy and stability
- Lock off switch to eliminate chances of an accidental activation
- A centred groove for chamfering
- Efficient one-blade drum for high-quality results
- A park shoe that protects the work surface
- A choice on either left or right-sided chip extraction
- Easy step-wise cutting depth adjustment
- An ergonomic handle for user comfort
The following accessories ship with the Bosch Professional GHO 26-82 D:
- A carrying case that allows for easy storage and transportation
- A dust bag to collect wood chips
- A user guide
Benefits of the Bosch GHO 26-82 D
- Lightweight and high power
- Precise cutting depths
- Easy to use
Disadvantages of the Bosch GHO 26-82 D
- The dust bag easily comes loose
- Weight: 2.8 kilogram
- Power: 710 watts
- Voltage: 240 volts
- No load speed: 18,000 rpm
- Maximum cutting depth: 2.6 mm
- Planing width: 82 mm
- Rebating depth: 9mm
- Cable length: 4 m
[btn url=”https://amzn.to/2Jba5pA” text_color=”#ffffff” bg_color=”#ff0000″ icon=”” icon_position=”start” size=”22″ id=”” target=””]Get the latest price on Amazon[/btn]
The Bosch Professional GHO 26-82 D is one of those planers that is popular among both professionals and DIY enthusiasts. It is powerful enough handle whatever task you throw its way.
Best Planer (Overall Winner)
It doesn’t take much to see that the Bosch Professional GHO 26-82 D is the best planer in this review. Its high power rating and superior cutting depth tell it all. Although the Bosch PHO 1500 is a little faster than the GHO 26-82 D, it isn’t worth comparing to the latter.
The Bosch Professional GHO 26-82 D is more powerful, efficient, convenient and feature-full than both the Makita KP0800 and the Bosch PHO 1500. Additionally, it comes with beneficial accessories such as a carrying case and a dust bag.
If you are willing to spend a little more cash on a planer that is powerful, reliable and efficient, you should definitely get the Bosch Professional GHO 26-82 D.
[btn url=”https://amzn.to/2Jba5pA” text_color=”#ffffff” bg_color=”#ff0000″ icon=”” icon_position=”start” size=”22″ id=”” target=””]Buy Makita LS0714 on Amazon[/btn]
The Bottom Line
As a woodworker in any capacity, you will undoubtedly need a planer at some point. It is best to choose one with a high power rating, cutting depth and speed. You will also have to look at features such as the desired weight and construction of the planer.
Ultimately, you will have to choose one that not only satisfies your personal needs but also falls within your budget. That is why we came up with this review of top picks to suit any budget. We wanted to make sure that you could access the best planer available for your budget.
We hope that this review has made your selection process significantly easier.